AuthenTec has introduced a security solution combining a VPN client with a fingerprint reader for Android smartphones and tablets. The QuickSec Mobile VPN Client 2.0 is a full-featured, IPsec-compliant, VPN solution. It is more secure, and faster than the native Android VPN client, and improves on the original QuickSec VPN Client for Android with new features, such as IKEv2 with MOBIKE, IPv6 support, and Android 2.3 or later Android OS support. It also offers improved configuration, security, and interoperability with major VPN gateways.
- IPSEC compliant, enterprise class, VPN solution
- IKEv2 with MOBIKE enables mobility across networks without losing the VPN connection
- IPv6 fully supported
- Split tunneling for high efficiency
- Xauth and Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) based authentication
- VPN launch secured by biometric authentication; faster and easier than entering username/password
- Interoperates with all major VPN gateways
- Seamless integration with hardware based security systems
- Suite B/FIPS 140-2 Level 1 compliant
- Supports Android 2.3 and newer Android OSs
- Customizable user interface.
AuthenTec has also announced that it has collaborated with BIO-key to create mobile enterprise solutions that combine AuthenTec fingerprint sensors with BIO-key’s Fingerprint Mobile Identification Devices (FMIDs) and server-side fingerprint matching technology. Solutions so far include fingerprint sensor-equipped sleeve or plug-in for iOS, Android and Win Mobile devices, allowing users to securely connect to a network server or cloud, gaining access to enterprise applications, corporate e-mail, banking or financial apps in a secure yet convenient manner.
I’d like to see this or something similar integrating with iPads/iPhones and RIM devices. That could solve a lot of IT Security issues around passwords, timeouts, locking on holstering, and data theft concerns.