Today, 2 of my favorite companies have united to become one. Astaro, makers of the excellent Astaro Gateway and other security products has been acquired by Sophos, cretors of endpoint, mobile, and data protection products. Looks like a sweet union. I am very pleased to see that Astaro’s licensing model (FREE for home users!) remains unchanged.
Some of the benefits of the merger:
- More Features: Sophos owns great technology in many areas like NAC, DLP, Patch Management, Vulnerability Scanning and more. Astaro can now integrate these technologies into their Security Gateway, further improving on its ability to protect your entire network.
- Coordinated Protection Between Endpoint and Network: This transaction brings two leading complementary security portfolios together to deliver coordinated protection and policy between endpoint and network. By combining policy, security filtering and information known at the endpoint with the network, Sophos will be able to provide improved security and visibility along with integrated management and reporting.
- Best-in-Class Threat and Data Protection and Web and Application Control: Solutions will offer complete protection to meet complex threats and malware challenges, especially from the web, applications and social engineering vectors that require full visibility and coordination, supported by SophosLabs and renowned malware and threat expertise.
- Enriched Channel Offerings: The combination of Sophos and Astaro will offer a complete and differentiated range of security solutions and services to meet customer needs not answered in the market today. Partners can deliver coordinated threat and data protection, and policy from any endpoint to any network boundary with solutions that can be deployed via software, virtually, appliance-based, via a cloud services platform and backed by security updates from Sophos Live Protection for real-time, high-performance protection for end users no matter where they are.
- Better Performance: Astaro always sought to further improve the performance of their UTM functions, but in the past were often limited as the vendors they license technology from were not always cooperative. With direct access to the experts at Sophos, they will able to offer tighter integration and significantly improve performance.
- Better Support: Scaling high quality support is always a challenge. With Sophos’ expertise and processes in 24×7 support, combined with Astaro’s support experts, we can expect a more responsive and better support experience than ever.
- Focused Management Team: Astaro will continue to exist within Sophos, run by the same management team and employees as today. They expect to strengthen their strategy offering complete solutions, and the focus will continue to be on solving end-user security issues.
Congratulations to the folks at Astaro and at Sophos. Press Release